Saturday, April 19, 2014

The Storyteller

I have discovered a new author.  Jodi Picoult, who has been around forever but I'd never read one of her books before.  At Costco last week I picked up her book 'The Storyteller'.  The notes on the back of the book made it look interesting but I had no idea what I was getting myself into.  The book is about a loner who befriends an older customer at her store and he asks her for a favor.  And the snowball begins!   The book is actually several stories in one...modern day...Germany in the 1930's, the Holocaust in the 40's and a bonus fiction story written by the storyteller.  I have to say the Holocaust part of the book was overwhelming.  How anyone could say it never happened is beyond me.  There were actually a couple of places where I cried and that is not something I do a lot of on any level and especially not at a book!

The writer is very talented and the story was very compelling.  I do have to say that I was exhausted when I finished it and will have to read some sappy romance thing next to clear my mind.  I have, for some reason this year, read a couple of books about the Holocaust and am not sure when I'll be able to handle another.  I'm not even sure I can handle another Jodi Picoult for awhile either.  But I'll be back, no doubt.

No comments: